Sunday, September 20, 2009

Crunchies


This recipe was a complete disaster. I don't know why it went wrong, except that perhaps the measurements were off. The final "dough" was not moist enough to hold together when I made the cookie. I baked them anyway, but only the portion of the cookie that had enough of the corn syrup mixture hardened up, the rest was still like a floury-sugary dough. I tasted the hard portions and it tasted good. I will include the recipe just in case someone can get the proportions better.

Since I hate wasting ingredients, I used the leftover flour-sugar-corn flake-coconut mixture and created a yummy bar cookie by adding more butter, brown sugar, an egg yolk, vanilla, flour and baking soda. I used a smaller pan, but wished I had used a larger pan because the middle didn't cook through. I will have to bake the middle again, but the edges were yummy!!

Crunchies

1 1/2 c. crushed corn flakes
3/4 c. sifted flour
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. shredded coconut
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c. butter
1 T light corn syrup
1 t. baking soda
1 t. vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
2. Combine corn flakes, flour, sugar, coconut, and salt in bowl and set aside.
3. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add corn syrup and cook over meduym heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Add baking soda and stir rapidly to blend. When foam settles, remove from heat at once. Add vanilla and blend well.
4. Pour corn syrup mixture over flour mixture and mix thoroughly. The mixture will be dry and crumbly. Shape into rounds by pressing mixture by tablespoons against the side of mixing bowl. Arrange carefully on un-greased cookie sheet, placing cookies about 2 inches apart. Press with fork to flatten slightly.
5. Bake for 7-8 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cook on cookie sheet for 2 minutes, then remove carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment