Saturday, September 19, 2009

Chicken Croquettes

This is one of those recipe cards that is hand-written in fountain pen ink. It is from "Mrs. Graves", and is a bit vague. I did the best I could, but can't use this recipe again, sorry Mrs. Graves. I wonder if people back in the good old days of trading recipes ever messed up a recipe so that other people would not be successful, because that is what seems to have happened here!! The mix was so runny that I couldn't make decent patties. The first croquette was the only one that held together in the oil. I could barely eat it, and am wondering about the other "croquette" recipes in my files. I will write this one out exactly as it was written, even though it doesn't follow the standard recipe format.

Chicken Croquettes


1 pint of fairly chopped chicken (packed in solid) 1 cup
chicken broth - 1 tblspn of flour and 1 tblspn of butter
1 tspn of lemon juice - a little salt & pepper. 1/4 tspn of
onion juice - a little minced parsley - 1 egg. Put
both over to boil - add flour & butter - salt pepper & egg
well beaten. Cook until it thickens - Take from fire
and add chicken. When cold form into shape. Dip
in bread crumbs - then egg - then bread crumbs again
Fry in deep fat

No comments:

Post a Comment