Saturday, September 19, 2009

Berry Crisp

I love crisps, especially apple crisp. I have a recipe that I have used for years in the Betty Crocker cookbook. I thought I would try this recipe because I had some strawberries that were about to get too soggy to eat. I won't keep this recipe. There was not enough crisp to cover the amount of berries. Perhaps I miscalculated when I quartered the recipe, but it ended up being better over ice cream instead of with ice cream. The strawberries got really liquidy, and the crisp did not hold together, but it did taste good. The recipe was a bit vague, not indicating what size pan to use or how much sugar to use to sweeten the berries. I also used regular oats instead of quick-cooking oats, so that may have made a difference.


Berry Crisp

4 c. blueberries, blackberries, or strawberries
1/3 to 3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. butter
3/4 c. quick-cooking oats
1/3 c. flour
1/3 c. firmly packed brown sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Place berries in baking pan ; sprinkle with enough sugar to sweeten.
3. Mix butter, oats, flour, and brown sugar together in a bowl until crumbly. Sprinkle over berries.
4. Bake for 30 minutes, or until lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment