Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Buttery Cashew Brittle

Yummy!! I got the craving for peanut brittle when I saw a box of See's peanut brittle at my parent's house. Of course I ate the rest of the box, hoping that my parents didn't miss it. So, when I was going through my candy recipes the other day I thought I should try this recipe. I had some cashews that I needed to use up, and the weather was clear, so I decided to try making brittle for the first time this morning.

This is a keeper, for sure. I will watch the nuts better after I add them so they don't burn. I used roasted salted cashews, even though the recipe called for raw. I made sure that most of the coating was removed, and I split the cashews in half. I ate all of it for lunch!! Now, I am off to the gym ...


Buttery Cashew Brittle

2 c. sugar
1 c. light-colored corn syrup
1/2 c. water
1 c. butter
3 c. (about 12 oz.) raw cashews
1 t. baking soda, sifted

1. In a 3-quart saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, and water. Cook and stir until sugar dissolves. Bring syrup to boiling. Add butter and stir until butter is melted. Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan. Reduce heat to medium-low. Continue boiling at a moderate, steady rate, stirring occasionally, until thermometer registers 280ºF (about 35 minutes). This is the soft-crack stage.
2. Stir in the nuts and continue cooking over medium-low heat stirring frequently until thermometer registers 300ºF (10 to 15 minutes more). This is the hard-crack stage.
3. Remove mixture from heat. Remove thermometer. Quickly stir in the baking soda, mixing thoroughly. Pour mixture onto two buttered baking sheets or 15" x 10" x 1" baking pans.
4. As the cashew brittle cools, stretch it out by lifting and pulling with two forks from edges. Loosen from pans as soon as possible. Pick up sections and break them into bit-sized pieces. Store tightly covered. Makes about 2 1/2 pounds (72 servings).

No comments:

Post a Comment