Thursday, April 29, 2010

Chicken Cashew

Several things went wrong with this recipe, and I ended up not really enjoying the taste. The biggest problem was with the cornstarch mixture. I used Tablespoons instead of teaspoons, so when I mixed it with the soy sauce it seized up!! I chose to stir it into the bouillon anyway and there were all sorts of chunks floating around in it. So, I prepared a separate cup of boiling water, stirred in some more bouillon, and added it to the chicken before I strained the chunky cornstarch mixture into the chicken. I boiled it for a while and it didn't seem to be thickening, so I stirred together cornstarch with some water and drizzled that into the mixture. I ended up boiling it down until it thickened up a bit. I ended up with a passable Cashew Chicken, but the taste wasn't quite right. Oh, I used carrots, peas, and celery instead of the mushrooms and green pepper. Also, I didn't have any green onions, so I grated a yellow onion (about 2 tablespoons).

Chicken Cashew

2 teaspoons chicken-flavor bouillon (or 2 chicken-flavored bouillon cubes)
1 3/4 c. boiling water
2 T soy sauce
5 t. cornstarch
2 t. light brown sugar
1/4 t. ground ginger
2 whole chicken breasts, split, boned, skinned, and cut into bite-sized pieces
2 T vegetable oil
2 c. sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 c. sliced green onions
1 small green pepper, sliced
8-oz. can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1/2 c. cashews
hot cooked rice

1. In a small saucepan, dissolve bouillon in water.
2. Combine soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar, and ginger. Stir into bouillon mixture.
3. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil. Add bouillon mixture and cook, stirring, until sauce is slightly thickened.
4. Stir in remaining ingredients except nuts and rice. Simmer, uncovered, 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Remove from heat, stir in half of the nuts. Serve over rice and garnish with remaining nuts. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment