Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Roast Chicken in Brandy Sauce


This was a great-tasting chicken dish, and I am realizing that even though I don't prefer the taste of wine in a dish, I like the taste of brandy!! I used some apple brandy that I had in the cupboard. I also used two chicken breast halves and cut the recipe in thirds. The sauce was a bit runny, which was OK if I had mashed potatoes on the plate, but I had to move the salad to a bowl. I used my dutch oven to cook in so I could put it in the oven. I think this will also be a good left-over meal tomorrow.

Roast Chicken in Brandy Sauce

1 4- to 6-lb. roasting chicken
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
6 T butter
1/4 c. onion, chopped fine
3/4 c. brandy
1/2 c. heavy cream
1 T minced parsley for garnish

1. Cut the chicken into serving pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Melt the butter in an ovenproof skillet and brown the pieces of chicken in it evenly over moderate heat.
3. Add the onion and continue to cook until it is tender and glazed. Add the brandy and turn each piece of chicken so that it is coated with brandy.
4. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil and place in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.
5. Remove the foil and pour the cream into the chicken mixture.
6. Continue to cook at 350ºF for 5 minutes longer. Serve at once, piping hot, garnished with the minced parsley. Serves 4-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment