Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Chicken Chow Mein

I had some water chestnuts, chicken broth, and cooked chicken to use up, so I decided to make my chicken chow mein. It had been a while since I had made it and didn't know if I would still like it. I did, I will be keeping this recipe. I served it over some white rice. I left out the bean sprouts, and added some carrots instead.

Chicken Chow Mein

1/4 c. cooking oil
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 onion, sliced
3 c. thinly & diagonally sliced celery
17 oz. canned bean sprouts
4 oz. canned sliced water chestnuts
2 t. sugar
2 c. chicken broth or water
2 c. sliced, cooked chicken
2 1/2 T cornstarch
1/4 c. cold water
1/4 c. soy sauce

1. Heat oil in deep skillet. Add salt, pepper, onion, celery, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, sugar, and chicken broth. Cook about 10 minutes. Don't over-cook veggies.
2. Blend together cornstarch, water, and soy sauce. Add to veggies and stir until mixture thickens.
3. Stir in chicken and serve immediately over chow mein noodles or cooked rice. Makes 5-6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment