Thursday, April 22, 2010

Roast Chicken in Foil

I was surprised by this recipe. I thought I wouldn't like the seasoning, but once I scraped off the reconstituted onions off the top of the chicken it was fine!! The chicken was very moist, and tasted good. I used the chicken flavor of Rice-a-Roni instead of steamed rice, so the I didn't use as much of the juice to flavor it. Although I liked this chicken, I am not going to keep this recipe because I will be unlikely to ever have dry onion soup mix again. I will remember the technique and try with fresh seasoning and perhaps with some vegetables.

Roast Chicken in Foil

2 broiler chickens, approximately 2 pounds in weight, cut in half lengthwise
2 sticks of butter
2 envelopes of dry onion soup mix
4 c. hot fluffy cooked rice

1. Place the chicken halves on aluminum foil large enough to bring up over the top and wrap tightly (or use two pieces of foil, one for the bottom and one for the top).
2. Cut the butter into 1/4-inch slices and arrange them over the top of the chicken.
3. Sprinkle with the dry onion soup mix.
4. Cover tightly with aluminum foil, making sure that no steam will be able to escape during cooking.
5. Cook at 300ºF for 45 minutes. Open one corner of the foil and test for doneness by piercing the thickest part of the chicken with a fork.
6. Serve with a portion of the rice. Use a spoonful of the gathered juices in the bottom of the foil to top the rice. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment