Monday, August 31, 2009

Corn Chowder

I had some leftover canned corn from the last recipe I tried, so I looked for a recipe in my files that would use it up. Being unemployed, I really understand the need for thriftiness. This is a recipe that was originally from the Watkins company, I think they did spices back in the 1940s.

I halved the recipe, which was good because this was the exact amount that fit in my retro chrome blender. I blended this only for a little bit on low so it didn't overflow the blender container, this also enabled the potatoes and corn to still be a but chunky. I also used some heavy cream plus the leftover chicken broth from my last recipe instead of milk. This old recipe called for the milk to be scalded, which was done to kill bacteria and change the nature of the milk. Now we pasteurize milk, so I just heated it through. Be careful not to let it boil over or burn while heating. Two potatoes ended up being 2 cups diced. Because I like the onion flavor, but don't like to eat the actual onions, I think the next time I make this I will grate the onion and mix with the butter before I melt it. Half of the recipe made 3 servings. Since the soup bowl looked naked, I garnished the soup with a sprig of rosemary for the picture!!

P.S. How funny, I just re-read this recipe and it never says to use a blender!! I wonder if the word "blend" was meant to mean stir all ingredients together ...

Update: I made this recipe again and it wasn't as good. I don't know if it was due to the fact that I substituted some canned "new potatoes" instead of using regular potatoes. Or, if it was due to the fact that I quartered the onions and added more butter while I cooked them, straining them out when I added the butter to the soup. The seasoning was off, I had to add more salt and pepper.

Corn Chowder
2 c. canned corn
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 pint diced raw peeled potatoes
2 T butter
1/4 t. salt
2 pints milk, scald
1 cup boiling water
pepper
celery salt

1. Cook onion in one half of butter to light brown and drain.
2. Boil potatoes until tender and drain.
3. Blend all ingredients, add seasoning to taste.
4. If a thicker soup is desired, blend 2 tablespoons of flour with a little bit of cold milk and stir into soup 10 minutes before serving. Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment