Monday, August 31, 2009

Mock Heath Bars

I know I said I wouldn't try any more "kiddie" recipes, but I couldn't pass this one up!! This is a toffee bar that is made with Saltine crackers, and it tastes pretty good. I must say, though, that I would rather have the real thing, and will make real toffee next time. This recipe is a good short-cut and is pretty quick and easy.

I quartered the recipe and used butter instead of oleo, or margarine. I also toasted the chopped almonds before I sprinkled them on the chocolate. I ruined the first batch of toffee by overcooking it. The second batch was still light in color and still foamy when I removed it from the stove at about 2 minutes.


Mock Heath Bars

1 c. oleo
1 c. brown sugar
saltine crackers
12 oz. chocolate chips
chopped nuts, if desired

1. Line jelly roll pan with crackers
2. Boil oleo and brown sugar hard for about 2 1/2 minutes. Pour over crackers, spreading out to cover all crackers.
3. Put in 350ºF oven for 5 minutes. Remove and set on the oven door.
4. Pour chocolate chips over the mixture and place back into the oven with the door open for 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and spread the chocolate chips out evenly. Sprinkle with nuts, if desired.
5. Refrigerate, can be frozen. Once set, bars can be broken apart by hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment