Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Alsatian Potato Tart

These were good, and pretty easy to make. I altered the recipe a bit because I don't have any frying pans that can go into the oven. I know I should have a cast-iron pan, but I always tend to rust them out!! Anyway, I used a glass casserole dish, warmed up in the oven while it was preheating so that the glass wouldn't shatter when I poured the bacon grease into it. I halved the recipe and used russet potatoes, heavy whipping cream, a cold egg, and ground allspice. This dish makes a great potato side dish for dinner, but would also work with a breakfast or brunch.


Alsatian Potato Tart

3 strips of bacon
1/4 c. heavy cream
2 eggs, at room temperature
3 T finely grated onion
2 T flour
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
2 allspice berries, or a pinch ground
6 medium potatoes

1. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
2. Cook bacon in 9- or 10-inch oven-safe skillet until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels, crumble and reserve. Leave the bacon drippings in the pan.
3. In a medium-sized bowl beat the cream with the eggs until light. Stir in the onion, flour, salt, pepper and allspice.
4. Peel the potatoes and grate them directly into the bowl. Mix well. Stir in bacon.
5. Place bacon skillet with its drippings into the oven for 5 minutes. Swirl the drippings over the bottom and sides of the skillet, then pour the potato mixture into the hot skillet.
6. Bake until puffed and lightly browned, about 30-35 mintues.
7. Cut into wedges to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment