Friday, August 7, 2009

Peanut Butter Squares

I have so many bar cookie recipes, but I wanted to start to winnow them down. So, I tried this recipe. I used dark brown sugar and quartered the recipe. I didn't do a great job with the marbling of the frosting, but it tasted good. These bars have a great taste, but they were a bit dry. I will keep this one around until I can test out the other peanut butter bars.


Peanut Butter Squares

1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
1/2 c. butter
1/3 c. peanut butter
1 c. flour
1 c. oatmeal
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt

1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
2. Combine the sugars, egg, butter, and peanut butter, mixing well.
3. Stir in the dry ingredients.
4. Spread in a 9" x 13" pan and bake about 17-22 minutes, until golden brown.
5. Cool

Frosting:

1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. peanut butter
2 T milk
3 T cocoa powder
1 T milk

1. Mix powdered sugar, peanut butter and 2 T milk together, adding 1/2 teaspoon of the milk at a time until frosting is of spreading consistency. Set aside 1/3 c.
2. Add the cocoa and 1 T milk to the remaining frosting. Add a bit more milk or powdered sugar, if needed, in order to spread.
3. Frost bars. Drop the 1/3 reserved frosting by teaspoonfuls onto chocolate frosting and swirl for marbled effect.
4. Makes about 4 dozen bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment