Saturday, August 1, 2009

Coconut Lemon Squares

After I weeded through my lemon bar recipes, I decided to try this one out. I had coconut to use up, and a lemon for the rind. I cut the recipe in half, but didn't have a baking pan the exact right size. This may have affected the results of this recipe. I will keep it, to compare to another similar coconut lemon bar recipe I have. I will definitely let the bars sit in the pan to cool longer than the recipe indicates, at least a half-hour.


Coconut Lemon Squares

2/3 c. butter
1 1/2 c. flour
4 eggs
2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 c. shredded coconut
1/4 t. baking powder
1 t. vanilla
1 1/3 c. sifted powdered sugar
2 T grated lemon rind
3 T fresh lemon juice

1. Cut butter into flour with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Press mixture evenly into an un-greased 12" x 8" x 2" baking pan. Bake at 350ºF for 20 minutes.
2. Beat eggs. Add brown sugar, coconut, baking powder, and vanilla, mixing well. Spread over baked crust and return to oven for another 25-30 minutes.
3. Combine powdered sugar, lemon rind, and juice in a medium mixing bowl, beating until smooth. Spread glaze over warm cookies in pan. Cut into 2-inch squares. Leave uncovered at least overnight before storing in an air-tight container. Makes 2 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment