Friday, August 7, 2009

Herbed Chicken Strips

I had some of the chicken breast tenderloins left from the last recipe, so I decided to try this one. The thing that made this different was that it used ground oats instead of flour. Don't get me wrong, I love oats. But, this recipe is not a keeper!! I didn't like the taste. I forgot to serve it with the tomato sauce (I was going to use my leftover Boboli suace), but I don't think that would make a difference. I will use the leftover chicken after I rub off the outside crust. If you do decide to try this recipe, I would turn over the strips about half way through the cooking time. As you can see from the following picture, I turned over half of them and the remaining half did not get as fried.


Herbed Chicken Strips

1 1/4 c. oats
1 t basil
1 t. paprika
1/2 t. oregano
1/2 t. thyme
1/4 t. garlic powder
2 whole chicken breasts, boned, skinned, split
1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. butter, melted
8 oz. tomato sauce
1/4 t. basil
1/2 c. sliced green onions

1. Preheat oven to 425ºF.
2. Place oats in blender container or food processor bowl and cover. Blend about 1 minute, stopping occasionally to stir.
3. Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch strips.
4. Coat chicken in combined ground oats, 1 teaspoon basil and spices. Dip into milk, then again into oat mixture.
5. Place into 15" x 10" pan and drizle with butter.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until tender.
7. Combine sauce, onions, and 1/4 teaspoon basil. Heat through, stirring occasionally. Serve with chicken. 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment