Thursday, August 26, 2010

Grandma's Meatloaf

I found this recipe in my box, it had been typed by me from another hand-written recipe. I had to call my mom to see if this was, indeed, Grandma's recipe for meatloaf. I had hand-written "add some Worcestershire sauce, too" at the bottom. My mother said that she never made her meatloaf with pork and veal, only ground beef. I don't think I have ever had pork and veal in a meatloaf before, in fact I prefer not to use veal (philosophical issues). But, I figured I needed to do it Grandma's way the first time.

I grated the onion instead of chopping, I don't like eating onions but I like the flavor. I used 1 pound ground beef, 1/2 pound ground pork, and 1/2 pound ground veal. I didn't have any milk, so I used some half-and-half instead. I think I might have used too much salt, so I will actually measure next time!! Needless to say, this is of course a keeper recipe!! I will try it without the veal next time, and then without the pork to see the difference. This was quite tasty and I am looking forward to sandwiches tomorrow.

Grandma's Meat Loaf

2 lb. ground beef, veal, and pork
1 egg
1/2 c. dry bread crumbs
1 T chopped onion (or more)
1 t. salt
pepper
1 c. milk

Bake 2 hours in moderate oven.

That is how the recipe reads. I mooshed all the ingredients together with my hands until incorporated. I placed the meatloaf into a loaf pan and baked at 350ºF for about 2 hours until the top was crispy. The juice overflowed the pan a little, so make sure you have a pan on the bottom shelf to catch the juices. I let it set for a couple of minutes, and then I cut off a piece to photograph. I noticed that there was a lot of juice in the bottom of the pan so, tilting the pan to make the grease go to the end, I removed the loaf to a piece of foil to store it in the fridge. I had to wipe off the meat before I ate it, it was really greasy (but tasty!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment