Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Corn Oysters

This is an old recipe from a Dutch cookbook, they call them Welshkann Oyschters. I was skeptical about using a dry pan, so did some research and found that most recipes call for frying in oil of some sort. I used corn oil. I accidentally added too much salt, but these were good. One cob of corn yields about 1/2 cup, but I would get ahold of 5 cobs for this recipe just in case. I don't know if "canned grated corn" is the same as creamed corn, but I would use the fresh just in case. There was also some confusion about the cayenne pepper listed in the instructions but not in the ingredients. I used a pinch of both black and cayenne pepper. This is a keeper, with the right amount of salt next time!!

Corn Oysters

2 c. grated fresh corn (or canned grated corn)
2 eggs, separated
2 T flour
1 T butter, melted
1/2 t. salt
pinch of pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper
corn oil for frying

1. Mix in flour, egg yolks, salt, peppers, and butter together in a small bowl.
2. Beat the egg whites stiffly and fold into mixture.
3. Drop spoonfuls to look like fried oysters into hot oil. Don't fill pan too full.
4. Cook until browned, flip oysters and cook until other side is browned.
5. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Eat while warm. Makes about 20 oysters.

No comments:

Post a Comment