Saturday, August 21, 2010

Sunrise Blueberry Coffee Cake

This was a yummy coffee cake, I will definitely be keeping this one!! I used up all my really large blueberries in this, saving the smaller ones for scones or muffins. The only thing I would do differently next time is either wait for the cream cheese to soften or use the whipped variety. I smeared butter all over the top and it was quite tasty. I used almonds instead of walnuts and they were a good substitute. I think that it would display better with the nuts on the top, not the way I photographed it!! I cut the recipe by thirds and it fit perfectly into my smaller tube pan. This might work in individual tube pans, but you would have to use the smaller blueberries and squirt the filling through a frosting decorator so you had more control. I will try this the next time I bake this recipe up!! It might even work as a muffin.


Sunrise Blueberry Coffee Cake

6 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 T confectioner's sugar
1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
3/4 t. ground nutmeg
3/4 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. salt
1 cup, plus 2 T sugar
1/2 c. butter, softened
3 eggs
1 t. vanilla
8 oz. sour cream
2/3 c. fresh blueberries
1/2 c. chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
3. In a small bow, with a fork, beat together cream cheese, confectioner's sugar, and lemon juice until smooth.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, 1/4 t. nutmeg, 1/4 t. cinnamon, and salt.
5. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, cream 1 cup sugar and butter, mixture will be dry. Add eggs one at a time, beating well until smooth. Beat in vanilla. On low speed, add flour mixture alternating with sour cream. With a rubber spatula, fold in picked-over blueberries.
6. Pour half of the batter into prepared pan. Spoon cream cheese mixture over the batter and spread to within 1/2-inch of edges. Pour remaining batter over mixture and smooth with a spatula.
7. In a small bowl, with a fork, combine walnuts, remaining 2 Tablespoons of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle over the batter.
8. Bake for 1 hour. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serves 10-12.

No comments:

Post a Comment