Sunday, August 8, 2010

Easy Macaroni and Cheese


I had some cheddar cheese to use up so I thought I would try one of my mac and cheese recipes. This was one I had used before and had written "keep" on it. I had used some cayenne pepper instead of the onions and bell peppers, why I don't know!! However, I liked the idea of cayenne pepper and added a pinch instead of the black pepper. I used green onions, but left out the bell peppers. There was a tiny bit of spiciness, just enough, and I will keep this recipe. I will probably make it the same way I did this time the next time I make it.

Easy Macaroni and Cheese

7 oz. macaroni shells or similar sized pasta
1 T butter
2 T flour
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. dry mustard
1/8 t. black pepper
1 c. milk
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
2 T sliced green onions (optional)
2 T chopped red bell pepper

1. Begin boiling macaroni according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, heat butter in a 1 1/2-quart saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour, salt, mustard, and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until butter is absorbed; remove from heat.
3. Gradually stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
4. Stir in cheese until melted.
5. Drain cooked pasta. Stir in sauce, onions, and bell peppers. Cook, stirring, until heated through. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment