Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Yogurt and Blueberry Scones

I had some blueberries and yogurt to use up so I tried this scone recipe. I used the smaller blueberries, and they were just the right size. I used some pineapple yogurt which had some pieces of pineapple in it, it worked out OK. I halved the recipe, but forgot to read through the recipe before I began and ended up using the whole egg in the recipe instead of only half and then half on the top. But, it was good I did because the recipe would have been too dry if I hadn't mixed it up. I used the little bowl with some cinnamon left over to mix the egg for the top, so there was a bit of cinnamon in the glaze. I found the technique of shredding cold butter without incorporating it into the flour strange, but it seemed to work out OK. This recipe says the scones will be "flaky" and to use "sweet butter" and jam with them. I found them to be a bit to greasy, and flat tasting. They were nice warm with some lemon curd, though. I will not be keeping this recipe, I found a better blueberry scone recipe (see Blueberry-Ginger Scones).

Yogurt and Blueberry Scones

3 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
2 T brown sugar
6 T cold butter
1 1/4 c. plain yogurt
2 eggs
1/2 c. blueberries, fresh or frozen
1/4 t. cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Grease a cookie sheet.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and brown sugar. Stir or whisk gently until well mixed.
3. Grate cold butter into flour mixture by using largest holes on a box grater, stirring butter in as you grate so it will not stick together.
4. Make a well in center and add yogurt and 1 egg. Dust blueberries with cinnamon and add to dough. Stir until just combined.
5. Use a 1/4-cup measure to scoop dough onto cookie sheet.
6. Beat remaining egg and brush on top of each scone.
7. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve immediately. Makes about 16 scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment