Thursday, August 5, 2010

Blueberry Muffins

I made these muffins for some friends who I visited while they were camping at the beach. I wrapped them in foil so they would stay a bit warm while I drove to the beach. This was a good recipe, although I felt like there should be a bit more blueberries. I was surprised when I went to fill in the small muffin tin and there was WAY too much batter. I ended up sacrificing some of the dough in order to get all the berries in the muffins. I filled the muffin cups to overflowing, and was amazed that they didn't overflow over the edge of the pan when they rose. But, it worked out perfectly. Of course the muffin top was the best part!!


Blueberry Muffins

6 T butter, softened, plus more for tins
3 c. plus 2 T flour
3 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 3/4 c. sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 egg, plus 2 egg yolks
1 t. vanilla
1 c. milk
1 3/4 c. fresh blueberries

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter large or small muffin tins, or line with paper liners. In a bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (I used regular beaters), cream butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla; mix until well combined. Reduce speed to low and alternately add flour mixture and milk (beginning and ending with flour).
3. Gently fold in blueberries by hand. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin tins. Sprinkle generously with sugar.
4. Bake until light golden, about 45 minutes for large muffins and about 30 minutes for small muffins. Cook in pan for 15 mintues. Remove from pan and transfer to cooling rack. Makes 6 large or 12 small muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment