Friday, July 17, 2009

Yorkshire Chicken

For my first recipe I just randomly took the first chicken recipe in the file, "Yorkshire Chicken". I had all the ingredients and, after I read through the recipe, decided I needed a starch. In my "pantry" I had bulgar and brown rice, so I checked out the recipes in my "Grains" box. All the bulgar recipes required some ingredients that I didn't have. So, I ended up with "Sweet Cherry & Almond Pilaf" [see next post]. I also was able to discard two recipe cards into my "to sell" pile, which will help with the downsizing.

I used a butterfly chicken breast, which weighed about a pound. This made it relatively easy to make the measurements smaller, as the original recipe called for 3 eggs. I must be a bit ignorant, because I was envisioning a creamy sauce over the chicken as the end-product!! Little did I know that the "Yorkshire" part of the recipe was a Yorkshire Pudding that baked around the chicken during the second half of the baking!! So, I didn't need a starch side dish after all ...


Yorkshire Chicken

4 skinless chicken beast halves
1/8 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. poultry seasoning
1/8 t. pepper
2 T butter
2/3 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
2 eggs
1 c. milk
1/2 t. baking powder
2 T butter, melted

1. In a bowl, combine 1/8 c. flour, 1/2 t. salt, poultry seasoning, and pepper.
2. Coat chicken with mixture.
3. In a skillet, melt 2 T butter. Add chicken. Brown on all sides.
4. Arrange chicken in a 8" square or round baking pan.
5. Bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes.
6. Drain pan drippings.
7. In a mixing bowl, beat together remaining flour, salt, baking powder, eggs, milk, and remaining butter. Beat until smooth.
8. Pour mixture over chicken. Bake at 350ºF for 45 minutes. Be careful when you open the oven door, or the pudding might fall. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment