Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sheepherder Potatoes


I bought a 5-pound bag of Yukon Gold potatoes last week, so I am taking the opportunity to try out some potato recipes. This recipe sounded yummy, and I had all the ingredients. As usual, I used frozen pearl onions instead of chopped, so I can get the flavor of the onions without having to eat them!! This would be a good recipe for a breakfast, also. The potatoes tasted sweet, I don't know if that was because of the bacon, the onions, or the potatoes. Also, I forgot to cut up the bacon into small pieces. It would have been a more integrated dish if I had.


Sheepherder Potatoes

8 slices of bacon, cut into small pieces
2 med. onions, chopped
4 medium potatoes, peeled & sliced to 1/4" thick
salt and pepper to taste

1. Fry up the bacon so it is not quite crisp. Add chopped onions & cook until onion is limp. Pour off all but 2 Tablespoons of bacon drippings.
2. Center potatoes on a piece of foil large enough to cover them.
3. Pour bacon over the top. Season with salt and pepper and mix lightly.
4. Don't pierce the foil. Seal foil so steam won't escape and leave some air space between the potatoes and the foil.
5. Place on cookie sheet and bake at 300ºF for and hour and a half. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment