Saturday, July 18, 2009

Chicken Tetrazini


Tonight's recipe is "Chicken Tetrazini", the first one I pulled out of the recipe box. It was perfect because I was able to use the chicken breast from last nights "Yorkshire Chicken", I discarded the Yorkshire pudding and peeled off the flour "skin" from the skinless breast. I cut it into large chunks and down-sized the recipe to fit the amount of chicken I had. I am getting pretty good with my calculator with this project!! All I had to purchase was some thin spaghetti (I got the whole-grain type) and some mushrooms. I don't like mushrooms, but I thought I would get a small can and I could pick them out as I ate them. I wasn't sure if they would add flavor or not. Also, even though I didn't need a starch, I couldn't resist a loaf of freshly baked (and still warm) sour dough bread.

This is definitely a "keeper" recipe, I might try it next time without the mushrooms to see if I still like it as well. It is surely not a healthy recipe, with all the fat and carbs, but a great way to use up some cooked chicken.




Chicken Tetrazini

2 c. cooked, diced chicken
8 oz. thin spaghetti
3 T butter
3 T flour
1/4 t. cayenne or black pepper
1 t. salt
2 c. chicken broth
3/4 c. half-and-half
3/4 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
1 T lemon juice
1 T butter
1/4 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 lb. sliced mushrooms

1. Cook pasta "al dente" according to package directions.
2. As pasta cooks, heat 3 T butter in saucepan. Add flour. Cook, stirring, a few minutes. Add pepper and salt. Slowly stir in broth.
3. Bring to a boil. Simmer until slightly thickened. Stir in half-and-half, chicken, and 3/4 c. cheese.
4. In a skillet, heat lemon juice and remaining butter. Add mushrooms. Saute until juice cooks off, about 5 minutes.
5. Drain pasta. Combine with cream mixture. Place half in shallow baking dish. Spread mushrooms over pasta, reserving some for garnish. Add remaining pasta. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and mushrooms.
6. Bake at 375ºF for 20 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment