Friday, July 17, 2009

Sweet Cherry & Almond Pilaf

Once I figured out how to use my new gas stove (after burning the first batch of rice) I was pleased with this recipe. Believe it or not I used Maraschino cherries because I had them on hand. I thought it might be too sweet, but it was just right. I love brown rice, it has such flavor and a nice chewy texture. I also used those sliced almonds for salads, and they were a bit too salty. So, the recipe below calls for regular almonds, and the original recipe's cherries!! Also, I didn't have any fresh parsley and it still tasted good.


Sweet Cherry & Almond Pilaf

2 T butter
1/4 c. finely chopped onion
1/4 c. finely chopped celery
1 1/2 c. water
2/3 c. brown rice
1/4 t. salt
pinch white pepper
2/3 cup sliced cherries
1/8 c. slivered almonds, toasted
1 T chopped fresh parsley

1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and celery. Saute until onion is lightly browned.
2. Stir in water, rice, salt, and pepper. Heat to boiling. Cover pan and reduce heat to low, simmer mixture 50 - 55 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
3. With fork, stir cherries, almonds, and parsley into rice mixture until well-combined. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment