Saturday, July 18, 2009

Lemon Spritz

I always thought that a "spritz" was with almond extract. However, after reviewing my cookie press recipes I discovered that "spritz" just means to "squirt" out of the cookie press.

Since there was lemon in the main course dish recipe (although I ended up not even tasting the lemon once it was baked), I decided to bake a lemon-flavored desert. I grabbed the first recipe in the lemon section of the "Shaped Cookies" box of recipes. I only had to go out and buy a lemon for the rind.

These are yummy, I decided to sprinkle them with some yellow sugar and make them in the shape of a flower. They would go wonderfully with tea, perhaps even with coffee. Be careful not to over-cook these, they cook fast. In fact, the old term for a hot oven (e.g. 400 degrees) was a "fast" oven.

Lemon Spritz

1 c. butter, room temperature
3/4 c. sugar
1 egg or 3 egg yolks
2 1/2 c. sifted flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. lemon extract
1/8 t. salt
1 t. grated lemon rind

1. Cream butter, adding sugar gradually.
2. Add egg, unbeaten. Then add dry ingredients, lemon rind, and extract.
3. Force through a cookie press on an un-greased cookie sheet.
4. Bake for 7 minutes at 400ºF.

No comments:

Post a Comment