Monday, October 12, 2009

Toffee Candy


My sweet tooth kicked in after dinner and so I decided to make some candy. I am keeping this recipe, although I was so hungry for the candy that I didn't wait for the chocolate to cool completely. In fact, I was so anxious to get these finished that I think I forgot the water!! The candy still tasted great, though!! This recipe seems to have been published in an old newspaper, so I imagine it is a classic.

Toffee Candy

1 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1 1/2 T light corn syrup
3 T water
1 c. finely chopped nuts
12 oz. chocolate chips

1. Melt butter in heavy saucpan. Stir in sugar, water, and corn syrup. Cook slowly to hard crack stage (300ºF), stirring occasionally to keep from scorching. Remove from heat and pour into large shallow pan. Cool.
2. Melt chocolate chips over warm water. Spread half of the chocolate on one side of hardened toffee, then sprinkle on half of the chopped nuts. Keep remainder of chocolate warm.
3. When the chocolate on the toffee is firm, lay a piece of foil over the top and turn it upside down. Coat the second side in the same manner as the first. When the chocolate is firm, break the candy into bite-sized pieces. Store in an air-tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment