Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Blonde Peanut Brittle

After my Cashew Brittle experience last week, I decided to try a "quick" peanut brittle recipe. This one does not require that you check the candy thermometer, but I did because I suspected the candy was not ready after 20 minutes, it wasn't!! I ended up cooking this for about a half-hour. I had trouble getting the peanuts evenly distributed in the candy, as you can see in the picture. The recipe had me put a lot of butter on the cookie sheet, which was also different, and there was no butter in the actual recipe. This affected the flavor, I much preferred the brittle part of the Cashew Brittle recipe, so this is not a keeper recipe for me. I will give some back to my parents to replace the See's brittle that I mooched the last time I was at their house!!


Blonde Peanut Brittle

2 c. (10 oz.) salted peanuts
2 T butter
2 c. sugar
1 c. water
3/4 c. light corn syrup
1/2 t. salt
1 t. baking soda

1. Grease a large cookie sheet with the butter.
2. In a heavy 10-inch skillet, combine sugar, water, and corn syrup. Stir to mix.
3. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat just enough to keep mixture from boiling over. Allow mixture to boil rapidly for 20 minutes or until syrup turns very light tan. Do not over-brown.
4. Remove from heat. Quickly stir in peanuts, salt, and baking soda.
5. Immediately pour mixture onto prepared baking sheet. Cool. Break into pieces. Store airtight.

No comments:

Post a Comment