Monday, October 12, 2009

Chinese Chicken with Blanched Walnuts

This recipe was fraught with problems. It called for a chicken breast, but didn't specify if it was a half-breast or a full-breast. Also, I used almonds instead of walnuts. Normally that is not a problem, but I neglected to factor in the fact that slivered almonds take up less space than the walnuts. So, my proportions were off, not enough sauce (I added more water to the finished dish before I cooked it) and too many nuts. In addition to this, the sauce was not to my preference. I am learning that I do not like too much soy sauce or wine in my sauces. I like the way the chicken cooked up in the egg whites, though, and may use that technique in another recipe. I have never used peanut oil before, and I liked the taste. I won't keep this recipe, but if someone used walnuts and likes wine and soy sauce in their sauces, this isn't a bad recipe to try. I would serve it over rice, which is not mentioned in the recipe.

Chinese Chicken with Blanched Walnuts

1 chicken breast
1 unbeaten egg white
2 c. English walnuts
6 T peanut oil
1 T dry sherry wine
1 t. Accent (i.e. MSG)
1 t. sugar
1 t. salt
1/4 t. powdered ginger root
3 T cornstarch
3 T soy sauce
1/4 c. water

1.Using a very sharp knife, remove all the meat from the chicken bones. Cut the meat into 3/4-inch cubes. Put the chicken in the egg white. Stir and turn so that all are covered.
2. Place walnuts in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a rolling boil for 2 minutes, then let stand for 1 minute longer. Drain the walnuts and remove the skins.
3. Place the peanut oil in a skillet over low heat. Add the walnuts and saute over low heat until they begin to turn golden brown. Remove the nuts from the oil, then add the chicken-egg mixture and cook over low heat until the chicken is lightly browned and firm.
4. Mix together remaining ingredients. Stir well and pour over the chicken. Cook for a few seconds, until thickened. Add the walnuts and continue cooking over low heat until thoroughly warmed through. Serve piping hot. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment