Thursday, October 15, 2009

Lemon Chicken

I have several Lemon Chicken recipes, and this is one I will not be keeping. I prefer the Chinese style of lemon chicken which has the crispy coating. I made the mistake of having Lemon Rice under the Lemon Chicken, which made it too lemony. This sauce was not as Sweet and Sour-tasting as the last recipe I tried, but I still didn't like it. The sauce didn't thicken well and I had to add some flour. Also, the way the recipe ingredients were typed on the recipe, it looked like the oil and ginger were included in the sauce, so that may explain why it didn't thicken up. I also don't like mushrooms so I left them out. I used powdered ginger rather than fresh.

Lemon Chicken

1 T lemon juice
1 T cornstarch
1 t. soy sauce
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 boneless, skinned chicken breast halves (5 ounces each), cut into 1/2-inch wide strips
1/2 c. water
2 T lemon juice
1 T sugar
2 t. soy sauce
1 T vegetable oil
3 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 t. grated fresh ginger
2 c. shredded iceberg lettuce or hot cooked rice

1. Combine 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, cornstarch, 1 t. soy sauce, garlic, and chicken in a small bowl.
2. Combine water, 2 Tablespoons lemon juice, sugar, and 2 t. soy sauce in a bowl.
3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken with marinade. Cook, stirring, until chicken is lightly browned, 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and ginger. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
4. Add sauce. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Serve over shredded lettuce or hot cooked rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment