Friday, October 16, 2009

Fung Lum's Lemon Chicken

Seems like I saved the best Lemon Chicken recipe for last!! One of the best Hong Kong style Chinese restaurants was Fung Lum, but the next generation didn't want to continue the restaurant tradition so they went out of business. The best I can recall is that a friend made this recipe for me once and I loved it, she copied the recipe for me. It looks like it was copied from the newspaper.

I liked this sauce the best of the three recipes I tested. I notice that there is no soy sauce in this recipe, but sesame oil instead. Also, it called for white wine vinegar, but I had none so used my balsamic vinegar. It also called for lemon extract in addition to the lemon juice. I served it over plain old steamed white rice. It seemed like there wasn't enough of the sauce, so I might increase the amount of sauce ingredients the next time. I ate my helping and wanted to dig into my leftover serving right away!! I might try to prepare the chicken with a cornstarch coating the next time, although this preparation was good also.

Fung Lum's Lemon Chicken

1 lb. boneless chicken, cut into julienne strips
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 drops sesame oil
3 t. cornstarch
2 t. salt
dash of black pepper
peanut oil for deep-frying
1/2 c. water
2 T white wine vinegar
2 T lemon juice
1/3 c. sugar
2 drops lemon extract
1 drop sesame oil
dash salt
1 T water
1 T cornstarch

1. Combine chicken, egg, 2 drops sesame oil, 3 teaspoons cornstarch, 2 teaspoons salt, and pepper until chicken pieces are coated and ingredients are blended.
2. Deep-fry chicken with marinade at 400ºF in peanut oil until lightly browned.
3. Drain chicken on paper towels. Cut into smaller pieces. Keep warm while preparing lemon sauce.
4. Blend together 1/2 cup water, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar lemon extract, 1 drop sesame oil, and a dash of salt in a wok or small saucepan. Heat to boiling. Blend together 1 Tablespoon water and 1 Tablespoon cornstarch until smooth. Stir into lemon mixture. Heat and stir until smooth and clear.
5. Pour sauce over chicken. Makes 1-2 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment