Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tennessee-Style Fried Corn

After boiling up some corn yesterday I had a couple of ears leftover. So, I thought I would try this variation on a family favorite "Corn and Bacon". My family recipe uses small pieces of corn and fries it up with the corn. My grandmother added onions and bell peppers. This recipe has some milk added to it, and just salt and pepper as seasoning. I liked this recipe, but I ended up overcooking the corn and couldn't eat all of it. Next time I would use a bit more milk, and not cook it so long once the milk is added.

Tennessee-Style Fried Corn

6 ears of fresh corn
4 slices of bacon
1/2 c. milk
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
pinch sugar

1. With a sharp knife, cut corn kernels from cob. Also scrape pulp out with back of knife. Set aside.
2. Cut bacon slices in half. Fry in heavy iron skillet until crisp. Drain on paper toweling.
3. Discard all but 4 Tablespoons bacon fat. Add corn. Cook, without stirring, until bottom is browned (lift corn from the side with a spatula to check).
4. When well-browned, add milk and seasonings, stirring until well combined. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes longer. Arrange bacon over the top and serve. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment