Tuesday, June 29, 2010

4-Step Bagels

I thought I would try using some of the frozen bread dough rolls and make some bagels. I had a recipe that showed the four steps of making a bagel from hand. Unfortunately, the 4 steps were not complete and I had to go out on the Internet to find out how to finish the bagels. The recipe I had stopped after the boiling. The recipe I found had a better way of making them round, and said I needed to bake them after boiling. They tasted good, though, so I will keep my version of this recipe on a new card in my physical recipe file.

4-Step Bagels

1. Flour your hand and form dough into balls. Punch a hole in the center of each ball.
2. Roll your fingers through the hole. Widen the hole by gently stretching it with your thumb.
3. Broil the bagels 5 inches from heat for 3 to 4 minutes to set the shape.
4. Lower bagels one at a time into boiling water. Boil uncovered for 7 minutes, turning once.

Better Directions

1. Remove dough from freezer the night before and set in a covered container with some damp paper towels.
2. The next morning divide the dough into several chunks. Roll the dough into a thick rope and squish together the ends well. Set bagel on oiled baking sheet and let them rise for about 10-20 minutes, until they look puffy.
3. Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Boil the bagels for a minute on each side. and place on the greased baking sheet. If you would like sesame seeds or poppy seeds, now is the time to add them. The best way to do that is to have the seeds on a plate and dip or roll the bagel in them before placing on the baking sheet.
4. Bake bagels for 10 minutes on each side.

No comments:

Post a Comment