Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Gnocchi with Tomato-Cheese Sauce

I had some potatoes to use up, so I decided to make home-made gnocchi!! It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, but I will have to try this one again later because I used double the amount of potato (oops). I froze my extra gnocchi , it wasn't too bad, just too potatoey. I loved the sauce, though!! My gnocchi didn't keep their shape really well once they were boiled, probably because there were too many potatoes. I also used basil rather than parsley, which gave the sauce a great flavor. The cream cheese I had on hand was the whipped variety, which worked well without having to soften it up ahead of time. I cooked the gnocchi until it floated. Make sure you serve this dish immediately, as it cools down quickly.


Gnocchi

4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 t. salt
1 1/2 to 1 3/4 c. flour
1/4 t. white pepper

1. Cook potatoes in boiling, salted water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well.
2. Mash potatoes.
3. Immediately add flour until thick dough forms. Add salt and pepper.
4. Divide dough into 4 parts. On a floured work surface, roll dough out, a section at a time, into 1/2-inch diameter ropes. Cut into 1/2-inch long pieces.
5. Flour tines of fork and slightly flatten each gnocchi. Place on lightly floured kitchen towel until ready to cook. Repeat process with remaining dough, adding more flour if dough becomes sticky.

Gnocchi with Tomato-Cheese Sauce

1 lb. gnocchi
2/3 c. tomato sauce
16 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 T butter
4 T chopped parsley
1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese

1. Plunge the pasta into 5 quarts of boiling, salted water and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat together the tomato sauce and half of the cream cheese, stirring until combined.
3. Toss the drained pasta with butter and remaining cream cheese and transfer to a serving bowl. Pour the tomato sauce mixture over the gnocchi, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment