Monday, June 21, 2010

Cry Babies


These cookies are chunky and spicy. I have to say, though, that I don't think I am a spicy cookie person. I suppose that means I can cull the spicy cookies from my recipe boxes now!! I do like the raisin oatmeal cookies, but the molasses was too much for me. For those who enjoy spice cookies, these might be right up your alley. I used chopped almonds instead of walnuts, rolled oats, and butter instead of the shortening. I don't know if that changed the texture or not. The batter was so smooth, probably from the sifted dry ingredients, that I expected them to melt down as they cooked. But as you can see from the picture, they stayed almost the same size as they started. I don't know why they are called "Cry Babies", I suppose it is because the little ones "cry" for more? They would have been better if they ended up softer, perhaps I cooked them a tad too long?

Note: I took these to a potluck, and there was only one left at the end, so people must like spicy cookies!!

Cry Babies

2 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. salt
2/3 c. shortening
2/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. molasses
1 t. vanilla
2 c. oats
1/2 c. raisins
1/2 c. walnuts
1 c. chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Sift together first 5 ingredients and set aside.
3. Cream together butter and sugar.
4. Stir in egg, milk, molasses, and vanilla.
5. Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
6. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto un-greased cookie sheets.
7. Bake for 15 minutes and remove to wire rack. Store in airtight container. Makes about 3-4 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment