Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Peek-a-Bleu Chicken Cutlets

I have been meaning to try this recipe for a long time, but I didn't have any loose bleu cheese. I liked the taste of this dish, but I will make sure that I keep the skillet on medium while I cook the chicken so the butter doesn't get too brown. There were lots of ingredients for this recipe, but it all came together fine. I didn't have seasoned salt, so I made my own by mixing some salt with some Mrs. Dash I had. I also didn't have any milk, so I watered down some heavy cream for the first part of the sauce. My sauce may have been thicker than was intended by the recipe, but it was good and I was able to dip the chicken in it. Even the darker sauce from the dark butter was good.

Peek-a-Bleu Chicken Cutlets

2 whole chicken breasts, halved, boned, skinned
2 t. lemon juice
1/2 t. seasoned salt
1/16 t. white pepper
3 T unsalted butter
2 ounces bleu cheese, crumbled
1/3 c. milk
1 T flour
4 T butter
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
1/4 t. white pepper
1/2 c. heavy cream
1 T finely chopped parsley
1 T finely chopped parsley

1. On a hard surface, pound chicken to 1/4-inch thickness.
2. Brush chicken with lemon juice. Sprinkle chicken with salt and 1/16 teaspoon white pepper.
3. In frying pan, melt 3 Tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add chicken and cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until fork tender. Remove frying pan from heat, cover chicken, and set aside.
4. Place bleu cheese in a smaller frying pan to melt, stirring constantly, over low heat.
5. In a bowl, mix milk and flour, stir until smooth.
6. Add flour mixture, 4 Tablespoons butter, 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, and nutmeg to melted cheese and cook, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes or until thickened.
7. Gradually stir in cream and 1 Tablespoon parsley. Cook 1 minute longer.
8. Place frying pan with chicken over medium heat. Pour sauce over chicken and cook about 3 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with remaining 1 Tablespoon parsley. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment