Monday, January 11, 2010

Peanut Butter Crunch Candy

This recipe had such promise!! They were supposed to be like a Butterfinger -- NOT!! I will not be keeping this recipe, I would rather just go out and buy a Butterfinger or a 5th Avenue candy bar!!

I don't know what went wrong. The first attempt I happily left the sugar bubbling away for supposedly 16 minutes, but the next time I looked at it is was brown and stinky!! So, the second batch I stayed and watched while it approached "hard crack" stage. My thermometer said "hard crack" stage was 300ºF, the recipe said 310ºF. So, I let it get to 305ºF as a compromise. I followed the directions exactly and the consistency of the candy was powdery instead of like it should be. I found it difficult to cut because it crumbled. I was lucky to get even some to cover in chocolate that were shaped properly!! I didn't like the semi-sweet chocolate as the coating, should have used the milk chocolate instead. Perhaps it didn't cook up properly because I halved the recipe?

Peanut Butter Crunch Candy

1 c. creamy peanut butter
1 c. sugar
1/3 c. water
1/3 c. light corn syrup
12 oz. semisweet chocolate morsels, melted

1. Butter an 8" square pan.
2. Heat peanut butter in top of a double boiler or on low heat in a medium saucepan, stirring constantly, until softened, set aside.
3. Combine sugar, water, and syrup in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes to wash the crystals from sides of pan. Uncover and cook, without stirring, to 310ºF (hard-crack stage), about 16 minutes.
4. Working quickly, pour syrup mixture immediately into peanut butter, stirring constantly, just until blended. Pour into prepared pan. Let cool 1 minute. Score (cut through but not to bottom of pan) into 1-inch squares. Cool completely.
5. Cut candy with a sharp knife along scored lines. Dip candy in melted chocolate, allowing excess chocolate to drip back into pan. Cool completely on wax paper. Place candy in decorative candy liners, if desired. Makes 1 pound.

No comments:

Post a Comment