Sunday, July 8, 2012

Chicken Sticks with Peanut Sauce


This recipe tasted nice, but boy did it have a lot of ingredients!!  Also, I learned my lessons about either curry powder or turmeric, yellow stains were all over my kitchen towels, potholders, and my plastic storage containers.  Don't know if I will do this one again, if I do I am going to make sure I don't use my plastic containers and will use paper towels!!  Also, my kitchen smelled like curry for days afterwards!!

Chicken Sticks with Peanut Sauce

1/3 c. olive oil
1 T soy sauce
1 t. honey
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T curry powder
1 t. ground coriander
1 t. ground turmeric
1 t. ground cumin
salt and pepper, to taste
2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 t. tabasco sauce
1/4 c. heavy cream
1/4 c. water
1/4 c. smooth peanut butter
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
2 T brown sugar
pinch ground cinnamon
1/4 c. boiling water

1. Combine the first 9 ingredients in a bowl.  Add the chicken pieces and mix well. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
2. Heat the oil in a large, nonstick skillet over low heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until wilted, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the curry powder and tabasco. Cook 2-3 minutes, stirring to mellow the flavors. Stir in the cream and water, then stir in the peanut butter, lemon juice, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Mix well.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil and immediately reduce the heat to low. Simmer gently, stirring, until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Place in a food processor [I used my blender] and process until smooth, adding the boiling water slowly through the feed tube to bind the sauce. Scrape the sauce into a bowl and reserve.
5. Thread the chicken pieces evenly on 6 skewers and grill over hot coals, 3 inches from the heat source , for 5 minutes per side. [I used my broiler] Serve immediately with the peanut sauce. Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment