Saturday, July 21, 2012

Apple Crisp


This is the recipe I have always used for my Apple Crisp.  My family started an Independence Day tradition, we bake up the Apple Crisp during dinner, take it out of the oven and go watch the Fireworks.  When we get back we eat the still warm Apple Crisp with ice cream.  About a half a minute in the microwave will heat it up nicely if it has cooled too much.

I always add more butter, more brown sugar, more cinnamon, and less flour.  This time I followed the recipe exactly and it became apparent why I do the alterations.  Also, the apples get a bit dry, so adding some additional moisture, perhaps some lemon juice, might be a good idea if the apples are not as juicy as they should be.  I am off gluten right now, so I used oat flour and it was fine. This is a keeper, when modified of course!!

Apple Crisp

4 c. sliced tart apples (about 4 medium)
2/3 to 3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. oats
3/4 t. ground cinnamon
3/4 t. ground nutmeg
1/3 c. butter, softened

1. Heat oven to 375º. Arrange apples in greased square 8"x8"x2" square pan.
2. Mix remaining ingredients and sprinkle over apples.
3. Bake until topping is golden brown and apples are tender, about 30 minutes.
4. Serve warm and, if desired, with cream or ice cream. Makes 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment