Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Heavenly Peas with Mashed Potatoes


I couldn't believe how GREEN this dish was, it made me think of the Grinch!! I am trying to be really frugal these days and I had all the ingredients for this recipe. I like the consistency and taste of these potatoes, but this recipe is not for those who loathe peas!! I think I would keep out just the peas next time so that all the onions get puréed. I made the mistake of preparing this dish before my main meal was ready, and it should be prepared right before you serve or it will be too cold. I also could have mashed the potatoes a bit more, it would have been better if there were no chunks.

Heavenly Peas with Mashed Potatoes

1 10-oz. pkg frozen peas
1/4 c. chopped onion
1 T utter
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
2 T chicken broth
1/2 c. dairy sour cream
4-5 c. prepared hot mashed potatoes

1. Cook peas and onion in butter for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in the salt and pepper. Remove 1/2 cup of the pea-onion mixture and set aside.
2. Place remaining pea-onion mixture in a blender container or food-processor bowl along with the broth. Cover and blend or process until smooth. If necessary, add an additional tablespoon of broth to make the mixture whirl in the machine.
3. Stir together puréed peas and the reserved 1/2 cup whole pea-onion mixture. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl stir sour cream into hot mashed potatoes. Add the pea mixture to potatoes. Fold gently to combine. Makes 8 side-dish servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment