Tuesday, October 26, 2010

"Sizzler" Blue Cheese Dressing

I have had trouble recently finding a blue cheese dressing that is not too vinegary!! So, I thought I would try out a recipe I found that purported to be from the famous Sizzler steakhouse. I think this restaurant single-handedly made salad bars "cool", and I have cravings for their salad dressing all the time. In fact, when I was there recently I found a big white blob in my dressing that was not cheese. I thought it might be cream cheese, but the waitress checked in the back and told me it was sour cream. So, this recipe might be authentic. I will keep it, the base of the dressing was good. I got a blue cheese that wasn't too "blue" since I only prefer the flavor of blue cheese instead of chunks. The cheese flavor was a bit too strong, but still much better than the vinegary-tasting alternatives of ready-made dressings. I have another recipe from Bob's Big Boy, and since theirs is the only one I will buy over the counter I will try that one next.

"Sizzler" Blue Cheese Dressing

1 T lemon juice
1 T white vinegar
1 T grated onion
1 t. salt
1/2 t. coarsely ground black pepper
2-4 oz. blue cheese, crumbled
2 c. sour cream
2 c. mayonnaise

1. In a large glass bowl, combine lemon juice, vinegar, onion, salt, pepper, and blue cheese. Chill overnight.
2. The next day, stir in sour cream and mayonnaise until mixed well.
3. Will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 month. Makes 5 cups.

5 comments:

  1. Just a couple of comments that work for me. Love the Sizzler Blue Cheese dressing. Been making this with ReaLLemon concentrate. Used fresh squeezed lemon juice last batch and it makes a difference for the better!!! I also lean towards a bit more sour cream ratio but not much. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked at Sizzler in the 70's in San Diego. We put in cottage cheese vs sour cream

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked at the Loz Feliz Sizzler... we never added cottage cheese

      Delete
  3. Made this recipe wasn’t close...but! Cottage cheese makes tons of sense. Going to try again big thanks for this information

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blue Cheese DressingLang's Gourmet is a family run business and focuses on sourcing Australian ingredients to produce our hand crafted, artisan gourmet jams, sauces, chutneys, mustards, dressings & BBQ range.We are determined to promote "buy Australian first" to support our local farmers and family run businesses. All our ingredients are selected with love and care and hand made with care by our passionate team.Try out some of our delicious products today!

    ReplyDelete