Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Scalloped Potatoes


I had some leftover evaporated milk and I had gotten a great deal on a bag of potatoes, so I thought I would make this recipe that I found on the label of the evaporated milk. I was pleased, usually I prefer potatoes "au gratin", but I think this was just a bit healthier!! The crust of Parmesan cheese on the top was yummy. This was good as leftovers, too!! To get a uniform sized thin slice I use a vintage VegOMatic!!


Scalloped Potatoes

2 lb. (about 6 medium) potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
3 T butter
1/4 c. chopped onion
3 T flour
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 can evaporated milk
1 c. water
1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease an 11" x 7" baking dish.
2. Place potatoes in large saucepan. Cover with water, bring to a boil. Cook over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes. Drain potatoes.
3. Heat butter in same saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1-2 minutes. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Gradually stir in milk and water. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat.
4. Arrange potatoes in prepared baking dish and pour milk mixture over potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender and cheese is light golden brown. Serves 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment