Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Chicken Almendrado

This is definitely not a keeper recipe for me!! There was something wrong with the proportion of liquid in this recipe. There was almost no liquid left after I simmered down the sauce before it went into the blender. I had to add another cup of liquid so there would be something to "boil" while the chicken cooked!! The taste was also not to my liking. I used cayenne pepper because I didn't have any "ground red chilies", and it was so spicy that I had to make some chocolate milk to drink while I ate this meal. Someone else may like this taste combination, and if they try this recipe I would use the whole can of chicken broth.

Chicken Almendrado

1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
2 T butter
1 T vegetable oil
1 c. chicken broth
1/4 c. slivered almonds
1 T ground red chilies
1 t. vinegar
1/2 t. sugar
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
4 chicken breast halves, boned

1. Cook onion in butter and oil in a 10-inch skillet, stirring frequently, until tender.
2. Stir in broth, almonds, ground chilies, vinegar, sugar, and cinnamon. Heat to boiling and reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
3. Spoon mixture into blender. Cover and blend on low speed about 1 minute or until smooth. Return sauce to skillet.
4. Dip chicken into sauce to coat both sides. Place chicken, skin sides up, in a single layer in the skillet. Heat to boiling and reduce heat.
5. Cover and simmer about 45 minutes or until done. Serve sauce over chicken. Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment