Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Almond Chicken

This recipe tricked me into thinking it was Asian because the name of the recipe was in Chinese next to the English!! I liked the taste of this chicken, in fact when I finished half of it I immediately ate the other half. However, it was not easy to execute. Although the recipe called for "paper-thin" slices of chicken, I just sliced it thin and when I got to the thick part I just cut it through the length to make two thin patties. I cut those patties up into smaller pieces. Also, it was really difficult to get the almonds to stick to the chicken. They kept coming off in the oil and I ended up using them as garnish. I fried them in about a quarter-inch of peanut oil. I made up some rice and the taste combination was great. I think next time I try this recipe I will use the larger sized slices and I will chop up the nuts a bit before I dip the chicken in them.

Follow-up: I tried this recipe with smaller-sized almonds and larger-sized chicken. There was just too much almond proportionally, which leads me to think that perhaps all the almonds were not intended to stick to the chicken. I ended up cutting up the left-overs and stirred them into some rice. I will NOT be keeping this recipe, after all.

Almond Chicken

2/3 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 1/2 T cornstarch
1/2 T cooking wine or sherry
1 t. sugar
1/2 t. salt
dash of pepper
1 egg white
1 1/2 c. sliced almonds
oil for frying

1. Cut the chicken into paper-thin slices and place in a bowl.
2. Whisk together all but almonds and oil. Place chicken in sauce and marinate for 20 minutes.
3. Place almonds in a dish and coat each slice of chicken with almonds.
4. Heat the oil over medium heat and deep-fry the chicken for 1 1/2 minutes. When it is cooked, the slices of chicken will rise to the surface. Remove and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment